Friday, January 8, 2010

Fish and Chips and grease

As expected, just getting to Antarctica depends on the whims of the weather gods. I arrived in NZ on Jan 3, and was supposed to fly to the ice on Jan 5. That flight was cancelled by bad weather, so I took one of the hotel's bikes and biked 30 min out to the beach. Remembering that my Kiwi friend has said that a local classic was fish 'n chips, I decided to buy some for lunch. I went into a fish 'n chips joint, hoping to see something on the menu called "fish and chips: $xxx". However, I was confronted by a bewildering array of fish options, and no obvious parings with chips. Then I noticed a hand-written board on the side advertising "$12 meal deal." Awesome! No thinking required. So I ordered that. As I was waiting for them to make my order, I read the meal deal more carefully. It involved 12 bites of fish, 5 potato plates, 2 scoops of chips, and 4 hot-dogs. When it came out, the package was the size of a textbook and weighed a couple of pounds. I went back to the beach to eat it, and when I opened it, there was an enormous amount of fried food, WAY more than I could possibly eat!! I ate maybe a quarter of it. Fortunately, there were a couple of German tourists who were watching the sea gulls circle around me, and they agreed to eat some of the food. I fed at least half of the food to the gulls. By the end, I could almost feel grease coming out of the pores of my skin. Next time, I'll be a bit more conservative on the quantity that I order!

1 comment:

  1. Take-home message: high-calorie food in NZ in plentiful. Good to know for future trip planning. ;)

    ReplyDelete